Friday, November 20, 2009

Yellow peril

This is the wall of a rest room in Inujima ("Dog Island", actually), an island in Japan's Inland Sea which is basically just a big art gallery.

I am the kind of person who takes pictures of what I consider to be interesting walls in rest rooms. That is just how it is.

If you click on it, you can see it describes the connection between toilet-related business and the rest of the world. I am also the kind of person who feels we can never be reminded enough about this.

Below is the rest room itself. Like a lot of things in Japan, I felt it was both impossibly elegant and yet within the boundaries of something I might possibly ape after, given enough time. At least the part with the wooden wall and door.

You ladies out there might not know this, but European urinals often do not extend all the way to the floor, which frankly results in a whole world of unpleasantness. The Japanese system is infinitely better


No comments: