Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Kerosene addiction IV: Heater

Kerosene heaters: Do they make any sense? They come in two flavours, there are large ones with pipes that jut out of the wall, and small, portable ones, like the one modeled by Felis the evil cat, above.

Mine has a 5 litre tank (approx 1.25 US gallons), which lasts almost exactly 24 hours when set to "max" (2000 W, the producer claims). I imagine most would find an electric heater cheaper, provided they had access to mains electricity.

Hermit's verdict: This is one more of those contraptions that promise the kind of switch-flick convenience most of us are used to in The Towns. But if you don't have road access, packing kerosene has to be weighed against the local availability of wood. My heater gives out the heat equivalent of two Aladdin lamps, but emits very little light, so in winter I find I might as well use the lamps instead.

A nice thing about the heater, though, is that it is quite child- and pet safe.

2 comments:

coastkid said...

most non mains heaters for sale here are gas(bottles)..propane or butane..but they dry your throat and i think make you sleepy and produce condensation..last thing you want in cold weather!...
dont know why there isnt more parrafin as we call kerosene heaters here..

Anonymous said...

You were a great help on my question on kicksled brakes, so I have another question that you seem like you would have insight into. It might sound a little silly. (I live in Eagle River, Alaska). There is quite a homeless problem up here. Tents dont really cut it in the winter. I wondered about a dog sled/kicksled type cross that would allow a person to move it to different areas easily and have a area to lay down (insulated off the ground) when needed. I know it sounds a bit silly, but I wondered what you might know about sleeping on dog sleds while mushing etc... and if you might have any thoughts. Would like to build a sample one. Thanks again.