Thursday, March 4, 2010

Fredrik's Place

Above is "Fredrik's Place", originally a woodsman's cabin, situated halfway between my hovel and where I jump on the train. Whoever Fredrik was, he's not around any more. Instead the place is inhabited by my friend Herm.

Herm seems to have done most thing right. He's sailed around the world, bicycled everywhere, climbed mountains, skied in extreme places and read an enormous amount of books.

This forest is about 500 square kilometres (200 square miles) and has 47 registered year-round inhabitants. I'm guessing there might be as many living in small cabins and under large roots here with official addresses elsewhere. Neighbours are few and far between but I still haven't met one I didn't like.

Below are pictures of Fredrik's Place from the 1890's.


No comments: